The Gambling Clinic in Helsinki
- Offers outpatient treatment for gamblers and their loved ones.
- The outpatient treatment is directed to citizens of Helsinki and Vantaa.
- The outpatient treatment is carried out as single, couple and group therapy. The loved ones can seek outpatient treatment either by themselves or together with their partner.
- The customer service of the Gambling Clinic is open weekdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the number 040 152 3918.
- The Gambling clinic is located in Helsinki, Hakaniemi, Siltasaarenkatu 12 A, 6th floor.
See more: peliklinikka.fi
Information and support point Tiltti
At the Gambling Clinic operates also the low-threshold information and support point Tiltti.
- Everyone who is interested in harms caused by gambling or who needs support are welcome in Tiltti.
- Tiltti organises evenings for families and friends. In these events you can meet other person in the same situation and receive sympathy, advices and information regarding gambling problems and being a loved one to a problem gambler.
- Information regarding these events is updated on the websites of Tiltti. In addition to the gamblers, the the open house activities are also aimed at their loved ones. Face-to-face support and counselling is available without scheduling an appointment.
See more: tiltti.fi
The Sovatek foundation
- Organises from time to time courses for loved ones concerned about gambling. The courses are free of charge.
- The courses offer information about problem gambling, about being a loved one to a gambler as well as support and ways how to survive.
- During the courses problem gambling and its effect on everyday life (for example economics) is discussed. The focus of the courses is the situation of the loved one, how they cope and survive.
- The courses are directed to spouses, parents and children and to persons who are interested in the subject. More detailed information on www.sovatek.fi
Pelirajat’on- peer support groups
Pelirajat’on helps persons suffering from gambling problems and their loved ones through peer support. It is easy to attend the Pelirajat’on groups.
In them you can share experiences and get support from others who have been in a similar situation. The groups are confidential and the vow of silence is respected.
The participation is free of charge. There are groups all around Finland. Information regarding the ongoing and future groups can be found at the website of the project.
The Pelirajat’on –project offers basic training for peer group instructors. You don´t need previous experience in group instructing or peer support activity. You can sign up for the training via the websites. The Pelirajat’on-project operates in the premises of Sosped Foundation (Social Pedagogics foundation) at the address Elimäenkatu 25-27, 00510 Helsinki. More information pelirajaton.fi
The Ehkäisevä päihdetyö EHYT ry´s Pelitaito-project (2010 - 2014)
Tackles children’s and a young person’s gaming in its all forms.
The website and support material provided during the project help to understand the gaming of children and young people. More information: pelitaito.fi
The Addiction Link
The multi-language Addiction Link online service contains a large variety of information on gambling problems as well as a discussion forum for gambling addicts and family members in Finnish.
More information: paihdelinkki.fi
Common instances providing help by phone
Public Service Info
0295 000, a support service giving advices and guidance regarding public services, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
0800 98009, counselling in payment and debt problems, Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Nationwide couples counselling by phone provided by Väestöliitto
0800 183 183 Thursdays from 12 noon to 2 p.m.
The Mannerheim League for Child Welfare, Parentline
0600 12277, Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Thursdays from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Victim Support Finland
020 316 116, Monday to Tuesday from 1 p.m. to 9 p.m., Wednesday to Friday from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
The nationwide crisis line
01019 5202 weekdays from 9 a.m. to 7 a.m., weekends and bank holidays from 5 p.m. to 7 a.m.
Instances providing help in your area
- There can be a lot of different forms of help provided in your area in addition to the previously mentioned. These can be for example courses, retreats or guided groups in mental growth and welfare.
- Workers institutes, parishes, and different organisations can offer guidance in how to develop the way of thinking and feeling.
- The deacons are professionals in pastoral counselling and you can turn to them in any life situation regarding your religion.
- Contact your occupational health services if you feel that your ability to work is at risk and you are not sure if you can handle the situation anymore.
- You can always ask for advices and instructions at the social and health services of your municipality. You get information of the basic services provided at your municipality by calling the switchboard of your municipality or from their websites. Municipalities do also offer finance and debt counselling. The health centre, the mental health clinic, the A-Clinic, the maternity clinic or the social clinic are instances where you can discuss about your own coping as a loved one to a gambler.
- Peluuri´s helpline provide current and local information regarding services for friends and family, call 0800 100 101 (weekdays from 12 noon to 6 p.m.).